Saturday, August 2, 2008

Study it Out in Your Mind Part 2

Not only do LDS believe that we must study LDS teachings out in our mind before we can receive confirming revelation from God, but the scriptures teach that revelation comes to our mind.

"Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." (D&C 8:2)

I have found that one of the ways I can distinguish personal revelation from my own thoughts or emotions is by noticing if the revelation comes to my mind and my heart. I ask myself, Does it makes sense? Does it seem right? Does it enlighten my understanding? Does it taste good?

"Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me." (Alma 32:28)

To say that the mind or understanding has no place in the "Mormon testimony" is another false caricature of anti-Mormons. Mormonism teaches that "studying it out in your mind" is a prerequisite to gaining revelation that comes to "the heart AND the mind" and that "enlightens our understanding." It's not "just feelings."

No comments: